Wenatchee Valley College - CTS Discussion Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2018 8:32 am  #1

Writing Assignment - Due Monday the 7th.

Reminder - Advising Day is May 8th.  No Day Classes

Assignment for the webserver class:

Compare and contrast Sharepoint Server vs. Wordpress Server
1-2 paragraphs on each
include ideas on what they are used for
after the paragraphs create a table or chart with a checklist for each.  Installation requirements for a single server

your opinion on which one do you think will be an easier installation and finally vote on which one the class does first. Note it doesn't have to be the easy one.  Maybe which one you think is more interesting or marketable.

5/01/2018 8:43 am  #2

Re: Writing Assignment - Due Monday the 7th.

This looks like a good site. You have to click on the Right side!
[url]​https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/install/install-sharepoint-server-2016-on-one-server[/url]

Last edited by Rob MIer (5/01/2018 8:45 am)

5/01/2018 9:06 am  #3

This looks like a good site for WordPress
http://www.wpbeginner.com/how-to-install-wordpress/

5/02/2018 8:56 am  #4

Sharepoint are great for bigger companies with over at least a thousand employees. It requires more resources such as: Windows Server and Microsoft products. Sharepoint has a lot more IT support from the company compared to Wordpress, I would feel more secured using Sharepoint and that is if I need it. Sharepoint also has a lot better features then Wordpress such as:activity tracking, chat, custom forums. third party integration and more. 

Wordpress work well for smaller companies, it does not provide the same  IT support that Sharepoint does although it doesn't require a lot of resources. Wordpress is free and is great for people who want to blog or/and for people who run smaller companies who do not have a large budget. 

I personally would choose Sharepoint if I could but Wordpress is more effective for me. 

Christina B

Last edited by cmbeierle (5/03/2018 8:33 am)

Christina. B

5/07/2018 8:36 am  #5

Sharepoint: Seems to be much more of a larger cloud sharing platform. I think the emphasis is on more of a corporation? It is a microsoft product, so there would be more tech support if you needed it. Cross platform, working on computers and there are phone applications. Is primarily sold as a document management and storage system, but the product is highly configurable and usage varies between organizations.

Wordpress: It is a free open source content manager that can create databases. It stores data/gets data at request. It uses MySQL and is also opensource. Used more for blogging/home use. Says its built in no geek speak, guess meaning that it is very easy to use for everyone. Apparently fortune 500 companies use Wordpress.

Kinda seems like Sharepoint could be easier since it is a Microsoft product but Wordpress is open source so it could also be a bit more easier/have more flexibility as well. 

Board footera