Wenatchee Valley College - CTS Discussion Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2020 8:38 am  #1

Linux Final Assignment - Due Wednesday (or earlier) the 18th

Write an opinion paper on "Windows vs. Linux" - this should include your OWN opinions on this subject.  Whether or not you will use Linux in the future and why.  Benefits of Linux, benefits of Windows, negatives aspects of both.  Please use your own words, but doing some research is expected.  This should be at least 3-4 full paragraphs.  Put links at the end of your article for your research sites you used.  Thank you for a wonderful quarter.  I hope to see everyone back on April 6th.  Stay tuned to this discussion board and to canvas for updates on next quarter.

Dave

3/11/2020 9:01 am  #2

Re: Linux Final Assignment - Due Wednesday (or earlier) the 18th

Linux vs. Windows 10

When comparing Windows 10 to Linux, it is important to remember that both operating systems have their strengths and weaknesses, and depending on what you are trying to accomplish both systems can accomplish the tasks but they might do things differently.  For example, if you wanted to update your operating system, there are a couple ways to do this in both Windows 10 and Linux, but the methods vary between operating systems. 

Comparing and Contrasting Linux and Windows 10

Linux is open-source, allowing for more freedom and customization of the operating system.  Windows 10 is a paid product meaning the user must obtain a product key to verify their product.  Linux supports different file systems (.html) whereas Windows 10 supports up to 3 (.htm).  In Linux, the terminal used is the BASH prompt when scripting, and in Windows 10 PowerShell is the built in scripting shell.   Linux was released in 1991, while Windows 10 was released in the year 2015.  Linux architecture is pretty much divided into tow parts, the Kernel Layer and the User Layer.  One of the main new features in Windows 10 is Cortana, a digital personal assistant that helps the user find files and features using the search bar.  Linux is known for being a smaller and lightweight operating system, whereas Windows 10 takes up much more space to install.  Linux is written in C programming language, and Windows 10 is written using C++, C, and Assembly programming languages.  In Linux, file names are case-sensitive, while Windows 10 file names are not case-sensitive.  Linux can be booted from any disk, and Windows 10 can only be booted from prime disk.  Linux is compatible for much more platforms than Windows 10, Windows 10 supports only defined platforms.

The most important difference between Linux and Windows 10:

Most Linux enthusiasts can name several advantages to using Linux over Windows 10.  For me, the most defining outlier between the two is the security features in Linux.  Linux provides more security features for the user to utilize.  Windows 10 is much more "locked down" and it takes more administrative 'work-arounds".  One of the security features in Linux that stands out to me is during the installation of various Linux distributions there is an option to encrypt the home folder, as well as encrypt the entire hard-drive.  Of course there are many more security features in Linux, but if your as interested in learning more about Linux you will have to find out for yourself!

I hope you enjoyed reading my Linux vs. Windows 10 comparisons, thank you for your time.

Jesse Kilthau

Resources:

https://www.educba.com/linux-vs-windows-10/

https://www.techworld.com/picture-gallery/developers/linux-vs-windows-10-3670807/

https://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/os-showdown-windows-10-vs-linux-1299406

Last edited by jkilthau2856 (3/11/2020 9:04 am)

3/12/2020 11:00 am  #3

Linux vs Windows 10
Well where to start, before i took linux this quarter i thought Windows was a great os system.But When got into linux it was really cool learning how to the commands work from moving files to ssh. Even though Windows was my main os still enjoy playing around with linux.

Anyways In my opnion this is why Linux Is better than windows 

Linux:ITS free besides that it has all the features which is very compatible.
more free applications like python or javascripts to create scripts.
Faster and lighter.Reliability kill any programs with a simple XKill command.
OH i forgot its esier to setup a raspberry pi with retropie

Windows in the other part its great but for the past years Its been hit with massive virus like Wanacry.
file coruption,Even sometimes updates do tend mess up and take long sometimes.Still its a great os 

But still staying with linux in my opinion but for gaming Windows 10 all the way

BTW Great Linux Class
by JuanCarlosMendezJr
Resources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3n6bArDEbc
https://www.lifewire.com/windows-vs-linux-mint-2200609

3/12/2020 11:54 pm  #4

Linux vs Windows
1.  When it comes to speed Linux takes it.  Linux tends to get less bogged down with multiple processes.  With their Ext4 file system, it's efficient.  Defragmentation is a thing of the past as well. 
2.  When it comes to Privacy, Linux again in my opinion as their operating system doesn't "spy" on you or "phone home". Not to mention the option of built-in military-grade encryption, making your data all the more secure.
3.  While it may lack some qualities as far as entertainment and gaming go, Linux has gained popularity because of its stability and adaptability.  When Windows is always attempting to hide as many system settings as possible, And Linux it's readily available to the user.
4.  When considering Windows is ready out of the box, that is a plus. However, with that comes the hackers and spammers, etc which target Windows frequently.

Windows is really just a "only-for-profit" type of company to me.  While they do have great support, they really don't want to play with others so to speak. While at times, it seems that open-source software is the best choice for so many reasons, Windows will probably always hold the majority of the market with their many popular software programs and apps.  As long as someone is willing to pay Microsoft will be first in-line to take your money.  Since Linux is based on UNIX architecture, it is a multi-user operating system, while Windows is just a single-user system. While Linux is considered by some to be more stable and secure than Windows, which is because Linux is community-driven, having been developed through people collaborating and they (developers) monitor it constantly, should a problem surface there can be a solution within a few hours, Which is much quicker than Windows.  Clearly Linux is improving all the time, but with only approx. 1% of the market and Windows 93%, they have a long way to go if they hope to catch up to Microsoft.

I have always been a fan of Linux, I also am familiar with Apple.  That being said, I prefer Linux whenever the cost is an issue, and not to mention it always seems to work out to put Linux on an old Apple that you can't even get the factory os back. Especially in the corporate sector, Linux can save a company tons of cash.  Depending on the type of user support they need, Windows can sometimes win over.   If I had to vote it would definitely be in favor of Linux for many reasons, but mostly ease of use, security, and adaptability.

https://maketecheasier.com/linux-vs-windows
                         https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/server/know-how/linux-vs-windows/
                         https://www.diffen.com/difference/Linux_vs_Windows

3/13/2020 10:54 am  #5

I would say that overall Linux is better than Windows. and I am going to first give reasons from my personal experience and then overall general reasons.

Reasons from my personal experience:
1. Linux seems to be faster than Windows, a lot of the time I find that my Windows machines start out slower than machines running Linux and they can get even slower over time.
2. Linux updates are much faster than Windows updates and are less invasive too. You won't be forced to restart while your working on something and lose all your progress in Linux.
3. One thing I will have to admit is better on Windows is gaming support. When I went on my steam account in Linux, most of my games were unplayable, but Linux is probably going to surpass Windows in gaming capabilities eventually.

General Reasons why Linux is better than Windows.
1. Linux is free of charge and it's open source. This means that all you need is a computer and a flash drive and you can get started with Linux. This also results in Linux having better community support because anyone can make changes to the Linux operating system to improve it.
2. It seems pretty reasonable that since Linux is the most often used operating system in supercomputing, cars, watches, tablets and just about anything computer related, that there is something about it that makes it better than the other operating systems.
3. Another thing I will have to admit is that most Windows operating systems are still more easy to learn how to use than most Linux distros. However, that depends on what Linux distro you are using because in my experience, Linux mint was actually easier to learn than any Windows operating system I've used.
4. From what I've heard Linux is more secure than Windows, I've gotten viruses on Windows before, but I've never heard of anyone getting a virus on Linux once and I know people who use Linux.
5. I've read that Linux works remarkably well on old hardware. This is very useful because you could install Linux on an old computer and then give it to somebody out there who is short on money and can't afford a computer.

Conclusion:

I think that I will probably use Linux a lot in the future because I want to get a job in Data Science so Linux will probably be the best operating system to use for technical computer stuff like that.

http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/10-reasons-why-linux-is-better-than-windows

3/15/2020 11:17 am  #6

Linux vs. Windows:
Linux is light-weight, can do majority of what windows can accomplish but with Linux in respect. Linux is also free open-source, any and everybody can look at the source of Linux Kernel and all Linux GNU projects. The downside with Linux is that it fell off for gaming (I will go more into that in windows section) however where Linux fails for gaming OS, it shines in the eyes of developers and server applications. Granted a lot of server jobs include Windows the need for Linux CLI ninjas is still great.
Windows is user-friendly, helpful, integrated, and above all shines with it's gaming department and DirectX. Windows has proven time and time again that it IS the personal computer's operating system. Any and all users can sit down at most Windows OS machines and be able to accomplish majority of their desires, they are prompted with pretty GUI, helpful tips, and hand holding all the way through!
Personal experience:
I try to use Linux in most all my server applications as it carries very low overhead, so the machine can focus less on producing colorful GUI and more on the RAW computing. To say an OS does everything for a user is an understatement, the OS is all the interaction we can achieve with a computer without having to delve into 5years of computer science. I respect Linux and what it can accomplish, however when it comes to my own personal computer I will use Windows 10, I love the ease of access and helpfulness, also creating applications for windows and Linux can be achieved very easily on Windows. Most packages, programs, and games get compiled to Windows ran Binaries so they supersede in most aspects as far as options.
In most cases I like to use Linux only in CLI, I usually have issues and get annoyed while trying to use the GUI of any Linux distro (I know they're very similar to windows, it's just my own opinion). Understanding CLI will make any person a Linux guru in most peoples eyes, everything that is GUI based can directly be implemented with CLI and more. For me I practice Linux to get use to environments that will have LOW overhead, so I can be ready to tackle any obstacle in the IT field with the least amount of resources at my fingertips.
I do not consider myself a Linux enthusiast quite yet, I mainly try to do everything from my windows 10 machine and just CLI into my Linux machines. I practice with Linux and VIM as much as my patience can handle, but I believe learning core concepts at the CLI level can help any IT or Programmer in the future.
With so many crafty Open-source frameworks being released creating applications that are cross platform can be achieved quite easily, So I just recommend user's to find what they're comfortable with and enjoy coding!
I have to add: If there's a service in windows that Linux doesn't already have, than best believe there is a user or group of people trying to implement that into Linux aswell!
Differences:
Linux: Open Source| Windows: License based
Linux: Low overhead| Windows: Beautiful GUIs
Linux: Hard for new users| Windows: Really easy for new users
Linux: More Secure| Windows: Less secure
Linux: Good for programmers| Windows: Same, good for programmers
Linux: Good Packager manager| Windows: ~decent package manager (Microsoft store)

sources:
https://itsfoss.com/linux-better-than-windows/
https://hackr.io/blog/windows-vs-linux
it seems Wine 4+ will have DirectX 12 implemented?:
https://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2017-January/115934.html

Hello, I am Devin Baughman.
There is a discord server with links to online PDF's of course textbooks, there are general chats for each course and nerd-banter, please come in and talk computers! Invite: https://discord.gg/H65RH2g

3/16/2020 4:29 pm  #7

Linux is becoming more and more of a popular operating system and even outshines Windows in different aspects.

Major Key Differences

1. Updates and Security: Linux gets updated almost daily with new patches and updates. Linux doesn't get bugs very often, or even exploits. Linux isn't perfect by any means but is still very secure to use. However, Windows, on the other hand, does get updates but not as often. More specifically, A major update happens only twice in one year. With vulnerabilities happening to Windows all the time. It sucks that Microsoft only rolls out patches every couple of months or so.

2. Performance: Linux is not a very intense operating system on hardware, It can run on almost all devices you throw at it. It could even make older computers have more use out of them since they don't use as much horsepower. Windows, on the other hand, has become more and more taxing on systems that require more modern hardware. It might force a windows user to upgrade computer components or even buy an entirely new computer altogether.

3. Price: Linux is just free. Linux is a full operating system that can supply all the features needed and is fully compatible with most if not all hardware. Windows has become less stingy with product codes as before with Windows 7 or 8 you needed a product key to install that operating system. In Windows 10, You can install it for free but the catch is you lose features if you don't activate your Windows operating system.

Experience with Linux

My personal experience with Linux has never been negative. Sure it will be different in certain aspects where I would need to type in a couple of commands to get Linux to do what I wanted to do. Linux gets a crazy amount of support with coders and developers on producing apps that are normally from Windows. Wine is a great example of this where most Windows applications can be run on Linux! Which could encourage a user to try Linux with their own Windows applications so they wouldn't lose compatibility with their applications? No matter if they switch the operating system or not. Linux doesn't just have major support from developers but has a ton of customization as well. Endless amounts of distributions that can surely appeal to somebody. Possibly somebody could miss how Windows or Mac OS looked but can port a look-alike GUI into Linux to feel more at home.

Would I switch to Linux?

In the meantime, No. As much as Windows has it's problems with Updates, Performance issues, and errors with occasionally getting blue screened. I cannot see myself switching operating systems. Windows has always been a staple to every computer I owned. I used to be a diehard Windows 7 user. With the release of Windows 10, It felt hard to switch but with the release of DirectX 12 which comes in to be required in some modern game titles. I bit the bullet and switched operating systems. Windows 10 has been my go-to operating system since. Linux would be a strong contender to be the next operating system with the amount of support it has. If Windows becomes unusable in the future.

- Victor L Trujillo

Sources: 
https://www.techworld.com/picture-gallery/developers/linux-vs-windows-10-3670807/

https://www.lifewire.com/windows-vs-linux-mint-2200609

3/16/2020 4:55 pm  #8

I like what I see so far!  Still waiting on articles from the rest of the class!

3/17/2020 10:21 am  #9

When choosing between Linux and Windows I will always choose Windows first. This doesn't mean there are any benefits to Linux or any draw backs to Windows, but there are enough benefits to Windows that always makes it easy for me to choose it over Linux.

Benefits of Windows
My personal list of Windows benefits includes: 
Start and go operation from the first time you boot it up
Easy to use and navigate
Compatible with programs right from the get go
I really like the VM options that come with the Pro version 

Benefits of Linux
Free
Lot of options to customize 
many different options to choose from to suit your needs

Drawbacks to Windows
Privacy always seems to be an issue with Windows (I'm looking at you Cortana)
It's expensive if you don't buy from eBay
Can be restrictive when trying to modify it, not as adaptable as Linux
Can be hacked 
All of the updates if forces onto you, and sometimes those updates break your system

Drawbacks of Linux
There are a lot of options but sometimes it's hard to tell what I'm getting 
There is a lot of start up maintenance that has to be done to get the system up and running
Not a fan of relying on the terminal to install programs and operate my system

All in all I think both systems have benefits and drawbacks, but due to the familiarity and ease of use I get from Windows, I don't think I will ever have a home operating system that runs Linux, unless I really got into cyber security and made a box that ran on Linux.

https://www.educba.com/linux-vs-windows/
https://www.guru99.com/linux-differences.html
https://www.maketecheasier.com/linux-vs-windows/

3/17/2020 8:02 pm  #10

In a world where Windows dominates the majority of operating systems, Linux is slowly working its way up the ladder. Both Linux and Windows have their share of connoisseurs, but which one is really better? In my opinion, each have their pros and cons; it all matters what your needs are with your machine. 

Windows Benefits:
Machines running Windows are easy to use. The file system is simple to get around in. The majority of programs are developed for Windows users. The GUI is familiar to most and looks good. With DirectX, Windows machines are superior for gaming. Windows offers online support, books, and numerous videos for various levels of users. 

Linux Benefits:
Linux is entirely free and open source. You do not have to pay a dime to get started with Linux, and all of the source code is available to everyone. Linux is lightweight and runs fast with the Ext 4 file system. Linux is highly customizable with many different distributions. Users with Linux are far less vulnerable then Windows users to attacks. Machines running Linux are extremely reliable. Linux vulnerabilities are patched quickly because of open source. The user has full control over updates, most of which can be completed with the use of a single command. The BASH prompt is very useful in Linux. 

Windows Negatives:
Windows requires licenses that can be expensive to purchase, ($200 for Windows Pro at the moment). Windows users have few customization options. Privacy is an issue as Windows users are more vulnerable to attack. Also, Windows collects data from the user and is equipped with OneDrive and intrusive behavior analysis through Cortana. Windows is known for its random interrupting updates that often interfere with the current task. Major updates only occur biannually (twice a year). 

Linux Negatives:
It can be challenging for a new user to get the hang of a new file system and GUI. Many 'casual users' are turned off by the amount of CLI used when managing a Linux computer. Gaming on Linux machines is growing in popularity, but still quite lacking. Since most programs are developed for Windows, a compatibility layer like WINE will be needed to access files across OS's.

In Conclusion
To conclude, when compared to Windows, it can be seen why the switch over to Linux is tempting. In many aspects, Linux beats out Windows. Better security, free and open source, lightweight and fast, great support, frequent controllable updates, and even more. Yet after comparing all of theses aspects, I still will choose Windows as my personal OS as I find it much easier to use. Also, lots of my leisure time is spent on computer gaming. In the future if I am required to use Linux for work, I would hold no complaints as I enjoy many of its aspects. Also, if compatibility drastically improves in the gaming world for Linux I would really have to reconsider.

-Zach Howard

Sources:
https://hackr.io/blog/windows-vs-linux
https://www.maketecheasier.com/linux-vs-windows/

Board footera