Wenatchee Valley College - CTS Discussion Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2020 9:13 pm  #11

Re: Linux Final Assignment - Due Wednesday (or earlier) the 18th

would i use linux moving forward? probably for certain things... if i had to do pen testing or do programming, then definitely linux... but for day to day use, i would still probably stick to windows. 
mostly because im more used to windows and tend to game on my pc, not just do work. i kinda feel like linux is more so good for projects and work.
i do like the security that linux offers, as well as the fact that its open source... what i dont like about it as much is the steep learning curve it has. it can be kinda frustrating at times if you arent 100% sure what youre doing. that being said, once you get going and lean whats up with linux, its a lot easier to get your stuff done in my opinion. being able to do almost everything through the terminal is very nice.
windows, to me, is more user friendly and straight forward. i dont need to look up a guide on how to install something on windows. dont get me wrong, windows sucks, its just a familiar crappiness that i have gotten used to.

pros to windows: easy to use, easy to navigate, no learning curve.
cons to windows: security is an issue, it costs money unless you pirate it, the updates can mess your stuff up

linux pros: open source, more secure, you can choose what flavor you want for your needs, its free ninety free, the user decides if and when they wanna update
linux cons: not very noob friendly, kinda bland in my opinion, not really easy to game on it lol

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000575.htm
https://www.diffen.com/difference/Linux_vs_Windows
https://www.maketecheasier.com/linux-vs-windows/

Ethan D

3/17/2020 11:55 pm  #12

While Linux has a lot of capability and versatility, and even has a very polished desktop experience at this point, I will definitely be using Windows for my every day compute tasks. I could use Linux in a professional environment and be totally fine, but I am so comfortable with Windows for home use that it would make little sense for me to make the switch.

Windows is so dominant in the market that nearly all software developers make applications for it, so it's easy to install and use software right out of the box. Since Windows is developed in house by Microsoft, it's easier for developers to make software for it, as changes come in a more steady and certified fashion than they do in Linux, making for a greatly streamlined development cycle. The biggest and probably best thing about Windows has to be the widespread support for gaming, making it a clear victor over literally all other operating systems. Windows does have its problems however, and this can be anything from random unexpected updates, to sketchy data collection which can't be entirely disabled without a hassle. Windows also carries with it a fairly expensive price tag, with certain licenses costing upwards of $130 for the OS and other Microsoft software costing potentially hundreds of dollars, like is the case with certain versions of Microsoft Office.

Looking at it from the Linux side, we can see that while it may not be as plug and play for gaming, there's a huge list of things Linux does that Windows either can't do or can't do as efficiently. Linux is a much lighter system to run than Windows, and that is especially important in low power devices where the hardware is limited in processing capability or the battery life needs to be maximized. This is also great for old hardware that may not support the requirements on newer versions of Windows, but will easily run a Linux distribution. Linux is also a great platform for developers who need absolute control over the operating system and its function to make their workflow as optimized as possible. This is helped by the fact that Linux supports a vast array of coding languages, making it possible to code almost anything from a single environment. Since Linux is an open source OS, it makes it much easier to make changes to kernel level code unlike in Windows where everything is locked down by Microsoft. This open source nature also means that Linux is free to use, making it an obvious choice for someone without the money to buy a Windows license. This includes applications like office software as well, meaning a Linux user can save substantial amounts of money over a Windows user. Due to its nature, Linux also has fewer glaring security vulnerabilities, and it also helps that it has such a minuscule market share, making it a less optimal target for cyber criminals. A part of this extra security has to do with how Linux handles tasks, making it a lot harder to compromise than Windows. We do however have to acknowledge that Linux can be a lot more confusing to use since most people are used to installation wizards and the plug and play capabilities that Windows provides right out of the box. It also doesn't help that there are literally hundreds if not thousands of different distributions of Linux, making it all the more confusing to a newcomer, especially when it comes to troubleshooting what might be a simple problem to fix in a Windows environment. 

Windows
Pros: Easy to use, has widespread support for applications and games, and is ready to go out of the box.
Cons: Less secure, not open source, expensive licensing, and much more resource intensive (especially in low power applications.)

Linux
Pros: Open source, highly customizable, much tighter security, free to use, and lightweight.
Cons: can be more difficult to use, lacks support from most software developers, not as easy to game on, and can be frustrating to troubleshoot due to the vast number of distributions.  

Sources:
https://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/24841/windows-vs-linux-whats-the-best-operating-system

https://itsfoss.com/linux-better-than-windows/

https://hackr.io/blog/windows-vs-linux

Ỵ̵͝'̸̰̋a̴̟̿l̴̘̓l̶̖̊ ̶̮̀g̷̬̈o̶̯͂t̴̺̚ ̷̢̌a̸͚̅ṋ̶̂y̶̙͝ ̴̙̾q̶̛͇u̶̢̔ï̵̳c̵͉̈́ķ̶̐ ̷͓͝b̶̡̚i̸̹͆t̴̠̀ṣ̷͝?̴̼̄

3/18/2020 3:12 pm  #13

In my personal experience I like to use both.

Windows:
I'm more used to using Windows since I was little so I'm more used to it. I like the format and user interface of Windows and layout of how everything else. For example how its easy to change the settings. Also like how its pretty big, meaning a lot of people use it, so its helpful finding help tips and other people to troubleshoot it. That being so big is also its problem because it makes it a target for hackers because a lot of people use it. Also how a lot of software and licensing that costs to much is a thing that i don't like.

Linux:
Now talking about Linux. I recently started using it but like it in general. It has a simplified taste to it, and talk about it being open source! Anyone can modify it and make cool software from it. The user interface used to be pretty rough but has gotten a lot better and more user friendly. A lot of the software is mostly free, because of it being open source. The cons for Linux though is Applications and software from Microsoft and Apple don't tend to work that well, so its hard finding mutual or cross-platform software. Also how it does take a bit more time to learn how to use it because its layout is different and also the fact that there are tons of different Linux operating systems and they all look different!!

Conclusion:
In conclusion I like using both still I have some systems at home, some with Windows and other with Linux. I think i would still mainly use windows because I'm more used to it, but i don't mind using Linux also.

Linux:
-Open source
-Free
-Capability on new pc
-Easier access for administration or troubleshooting

Windows:
-Easy UI
-Big so a lot of Apps
-Games
-Support for new hardware

Sources:
https://brandongaille.com/8-pros-and-cons-of-linux/
http://www.rjsystems.nl/en/3200.php

Last edited by Gabe47 (3/18/2020 3:14 pm)

3/18/2020 7:09 pm  #14

Overall Linux has been great and unique learning experience, coming into it i never really thought I would care for it but by the end of the quarter my opinion has changed. Although Linux can be a little more confusing for a first time user once you got the hang of it and a sense of what your doing and what you can do to find the information; you'll find to like. Linux is a great option for someone who has old computers that just wants them to do simple things like surfing the web or watching a video since it can be so light weight. At the end of the day I will use linux just not as my everyday os at least not until I become more familiar with it then I am now.

LINUX:
Linux lets the users change existing code and provide different distributions or versions, that may be used again or sold. Linux has put itself as a prime option for setting up a server, that's the reason why web pages are put on through systems backed by a linux distribution. Linux operating system and almost  all of its utilities are free and open source for use and change.
When it comes to speed there is not doubt that linux has the upper hand there, Linux minimizes using multiple process keeping the device efficient. Linux users OS privacy has them equipping it with a built-in state of the art encryption, users can be sure that they are getting better security and less action from third party applications. the command line is very useful in linux and is a powerful tool for administration. The users of this os also have full control about what updates they want to install and don't need to reboot to make it happen.

WINDOWS:
Microsoft's dominance in the market is astonishing, as we all know that if you are purchasing a new device you shouldn't be surprised if the OS came from a version of Windows. With this being said most users have already had some sort of interaction. This makes it an great choice for new or old users.
Windows has great support that is integrated to the OS, there is also many websites and forums online dedicated to support. When it comes to gaming there is not competition here it is easy to say that Windows has Steam, epic  and other clients who provide windows with AAA titles.

Conclusion:
In reality I cannot say which is better than the other because both are unique and offer different things for different people. At the end of the day it comes to who you are, how much time you are willing to put into your computer and how much you care about what actually happens with your computer. Linux and Windows are both great OS's that we should keep talking about and learning about.

Jorge Calderilla

3/18/2020 9:31 pm  #15

Linux or Windows, Windows if you are using your computer for just daily stuff. If you want more of a programming side to your computer then linux because it provides a large selection of applications and well its also free as well as a open source. Windows has a more variety of games then linux has some will run the same amount but not all as well as windows has more game support then linux for now it seems as linux is growing more. With windows security can be quite the issue not saying linux can't either but windows has had many issues with security. It takes a good amount of time to learn linux but when you do learn it you can do some stuff that you wouldn't be able to really do in windows which i find great about it.

For home uses I would mainly use windows and have a back up computer with linux if I ever need to do some programming on it especially since it can be costly to program with windows. I do believe i will start using linux more often as I start working more into my career choice. This class really helped me in learning more about linux and enjoying the advantages it has against windows on the programming side.
-Jose Gamino

3/18/2020 9:32 pm  #16

Linux Pros:

-Certain programs are actually easier to install in Linux (if there is a package for it) than to properly install in windows

-Not all of Linux is free, but most programs that work with it are also free

-You can set up Linux exactly how you want it. That means not only the desktop and how the icons look, but also what happens in the background. In Linux you wont have anything running in the background that you don't want. 

-Linux is more secure compared to windows 10. Linux comes with free Anti-Virus programs or VPN's, were windows makes you pay for everything

Windows:

-The learning curve for Linux is very steep. Especially since I already mainly use windows, windows is much easier to get into. Linux can be a little tricky on trying to solve a problem, rather than having windows having a "Just type this and it'll work" method. 

- Windows is just used for normally. Businesses, schools, home. It's all one unified OS where Linux have hundreds of different versions. You can learn one thing in windows and know the issues solutions everywhere, were Linux has different problem solutions for every OS.

-Windows can handle heavy programs/games compared to Linux.

Will I use Linux regularly?

No, I grew up learning Windows 10 and my job uses windows 10. Learning Linux seems unnecessary to me. I'll use it in a virtual box or duel boot for fun, but nothing serious. 

3/18/2020 10:41 pm  #17

Windows
Pros: The biggest pro of Windows is the vast selection of applications. Adobe and Microsoft Office are some of the more used applications that are exclusive on PC/Mac. Similar to applications is games. All PC games are made for Windows so they are well optimized whereas Linux uses Wine that crashes frequently. With Windows you can always call customer support whenever you have an issue. Windows 10 is also more user friendly between the two. All Windows 10 is the same so you get to know it pretty good whereas Linux has so many different versions they could have completely different interfaces. 

Cons: Big one here is the cost. Price for Home can be 140$ and Pro can be 200$ (Although you can buy a CD-key on eBay for 5$) Another Con of windows is that it is very hardware intensive compared to other OS’s. You need decent/good hardware to run it smoothly. Also viruses are targeted/developed towards Windows users so you have a higher chance of getting something on your computer.
Pros: Compared to Windows, linux is very lightweight. What does this mean exactly? The OS is less taxing on the hardware so something that is relatively slow with Windows can run smooth and fast on Linux. Another advantage is Linux is open source. Meaning that it must be freely distributed. On top of that, you are free to take it, modify it and make it your own style with the source code. Also viruses and malware are targeted towards Windows user, so it is very hard to get one for Linux but I'm sure it's possible.Another big one is customization. You can switch between desktop GUI(Gnome, plasma, xfce, etc)

Cons: One of the biggest cons to me is the fact it’s not as user friendly as Windows is although it is getting there. Another is the fact that with so many Windows computers, most software is targeted to Windows and not available for Linux more often than not. Being free as it is, there is also lack of customer support lines for the less technologically savvy. Another con is the steeper learning curve

Overall i much prefer Windows 10 over Linux. It is more practical for day to day use although a Linux laptop is nice to have to mess around with and try it out.
Sources:https://computer.howstuffworks.com/question435.htm[/url][url=https://www.educba.com/advantage-of-linux/]https://www.educba.com/advantage-of-linux/https://brandongaille.com/8-pros-and-cons-of-linux/ 

Last edited by MikeHolmes (3/18/2020 10:41 pm)

Board footera